The perfect mix of sweet and salty.
These caramel biscuits are made with either maltexo or golden syrup and are made in just one pot!
No cake mixer needed!
These biscuits have a crisp outside, which makes them perfect for dunking, and a soft chewy inside.
They are so easy to whip up and in fact I made them before the kids got out of bed this morning without waking anyone up in our wee cottage, because I didn’t need any noisy equipment to make them.
They are also eggless for anyone with an egg allergy!
I was given this recipe from a wonderful lady named Mrs Isbister who gave me handwritten pile of her best, tried and true recipes that she used while cooking on their family farm. Not one recipe is a fail!
For this recipe you will need;
Malt or Golden Syrup
What is Maltexo?
This is an exert from the Maltexo website;
Made from New Zealand barley grain, Maltexo Original has been the supplement of choice for generations. A spoonful each day is a great way to boost general well-being and combat the trials of winter. 100 per cent goodness with no added flavourings, colourings or preservatives.
Maltexo Original is a pure malt extract that supplements everyday nutrition to help provide young and old with extra energy to get through the day. There’s no doubt that good nutrition can suffer when families have a busy lifestyle but by including Maltexo in your diet you can be confident you are receiving additional supplements to meet the challenges of day to day life.
Do I need to refrigerate the mixture?
There is no need to refrigerate the mixture. But do allow it to cool on the bench top for 5-10 minutes until the mixture begins to firm up.
- 1 Pot
- 1 Dough whisk (or wooden spoon)
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups
- kitchen scales
- Baking trays (line with reusable liners or compostable baking paper)
- 110 grams butter
- ½ cup sugar (100 grams)
- 1 tbsp maltexo or golden syrup
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1½ cups standard flour (225 grams)
- ½-1 tsp salt (you choose how much you prefer)
- 2 tsp vanilla (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 160° and line your baking trays.
- Place the butter, sugar, maltexo (or golden syrup) and milk into a pot and melt over a low heat.
- Take off the heat once all the ingredients have combined.
- Add the baking soda and stir with the dough whisk or wooden spoon until it fluffs up and become pale in colour.
- Fold through the flour, salt and vanilla.
- Allow to cool on your bench top for 5-10 minutes until the mixture firms up. You will know when you roll your first ball of dough by the way it holds it shape.
- Use teaspoon amount of mixture to roll into balls. Place on your lined baking trays. There is no need to press down.
- Place in the oven and cook for 10-12 minutes.
- They will be golden and form to touch. Allow them to rest on the trays for 5 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack. Once cool store in an airtight container.