If it’s green it can go in this fast and easy to make pasta dish
You will need;
salt and pepper
What if I don’t have the greens specified?
Just use 1 cup equivalent of any other green vegetable.
You could use broccoli and broccoli stalks.
You could use kale, silverbeet or cavalo nero (or a combination) instead of spinach.
Does it freeze well?
It sure does!
I often make double of the chicken and green pesto, and freeze half for another night. Perfect for a quick meal on busy evenings.
Cashew nuts can be expensive!
Buy broken cashew pieces in the bulk-food aisle for a cheaper alternative to whole cashew nuts.
Chicken and Green Pesto Pasta
- 500 grams chicken breast
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 cup cashew nuts
- 2 cups chicken stock
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- Preheat a heavy bottomed pot on a medium to high heat.
- Prepare your chicken by cutting into small pieces and pat dry with a paper towel.
- When the pot is hot (a small splash of water will dance on the surface) add a good glug of oil and brown the chicken. Once its browned take the chicken out and return the pot to the heat.
- Add the chicken stock to the pot and use a flat wooden spoon to get all the flavour off the bottom of the pot (deglazing).
- Place the peas, spinach and cashews in the stock and simmer for 10-15 minutes until the cashews are soft.
- While the sauce simmers boil a pot of water with another glug of oil, and cook the pasta using the directions on the packet.
- Blitz the green pasta sauce using a stick blender (or alternatively transfer to a kitchen blender). Place the chicken back into the pot and heat through.Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Plate up the pasta and top with the chicken and green pesto (top with parmesan cheese if you are using it).
- You could use kale, silverbeet or cavalo nero (or a combination) instead of spinach. What ever is green and leafy in your veggie garden or veggie drawer.
- Top with parmesan cheese to be extra fancy
- Make double of the chicken and green pesto, and freeze half for another night. Perfect for a quick meal on busy evenings.
- Buy broken cashew pieces in the bulk-food aisle for a cheaper alternative to whole cashew nuts.
Do you love quick and easy pasta meals?
You should try these ideas too.
Or try my Creamy Chicken and Pea Pasta