Nothing beats a gorgeous caramel slice – except one that is made in one pot!
This quick and easy recipe takes no time at all to whip up. It doubles really easy too.
And the oats make this recipe healthy – right?!
When I gre up my mum would make tan square most weeks when she filled the cake tins for school and work lunches. This is a great variation on that tan slice that she would make. A recipe she found in a Southland Women’s Hockey Team fundraising cookbook.
Pre heat your oven to 180 degrees and line a brownie tin (27x17cm).
I like to use silicon re-usable liners or compostable baking paper. Anything to help reduce my waste in the kitchen.
Simply place the butter and brown sugar into a pot.
Once it’s all melted and combined add flour, baking powder, rolled oats and salt.
Tip the mixture out into your lined tin – setting aside a quarter of the mixture for the topping.
Heat your tin of caramel (constantly stirring to avoid the caramel burning).
Stir until it becomes a smooth consistency.
Pour the caramel over your base and use the remaining mixture in your pot to sprinkle over the top.
Bake at 180 for 15-20 minutes (until the caramel bubbles and looks amazing)
How easy is that!
If you like this recipe you may like to check out these other caramel slice recipes.
Vj’s crispy cashew caramel slice https://vjcooks.com/cashew-caramel-slice/
Laura’s chocolate caramel slice https://www.thekiwicountrygirl.com/chocolate-caramel-slice/
Jana’s caramel honeycomb bars https://themacphersondiaries.co.nz/caramel-honeycomb-bars/
Anna’s decadent caramel slice https://justamumnz.com/2015/12/14/decadent-caramel-slice/
One Pot Oaty Caramel Slice
- Wooden spoon/danish dough whisk
- Pudding spoon
- 150 grams butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1½ cups rolled oats
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 can caramel (395 grams)
- Pre heat your oven to 180°.
- Line a 27x17cm brownie tin.
- Place the butter and brown sugar into a pot and melt over a low heat.
- Take the pot off of the heat and use your danish dough whisk (or wooden spoon) to add the flour, baking powder, rolled oats and salt.
- Press ¾ of the mixture into your lined tin and use a clean wet hand to squish all the mixture into the corners.
- Use the back of a spoon to press down on the base to get an even coverage.
- Heat your can of caramel. Making sure to stir it often to avoid the caramel burning. You want the caramel to be a smooth consistency to spread over your base.
- Pour the hot caramel over your base and sprinkle the remaining base mixture over the top.
- Bake the slice for 15 minutes.
- Cool in the tin and cut once cold.
- Store in an airtight tin or container.