A delicious sweet chewy cookie with a hint of spice.
The perfect biscuit or cookie for dunking in your cuppa.
What will I need to make the spiced sugar coating?
Make sure to mix together the spiced sugar coating, and store any remaining spiced sugar in an air tight container for another time.
What ingredients will I need to make the biscuits?
Why do I need cornflour in the recipe?
Would you believe that the addition of cornflour in a biscuit helps soften the proteins in flour, resulting in a crunchy outer biscuits and a softer middle.
If you like a good biscuit recipe. Make sure to check out my other favourite biscuit recipes.
A one pot wonder – Caramel Biscuits – recipe here
Delicious Milo Biscuits – recipe here
Gingernut Biscuits – recipe here
Spiced Sugar Cookies
- 225 grams butter
- 300 grams castor sugar (1 ½ cups)
- 50 grams brown sugar (¼ cup)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 450 grams plain flour (3 cups)
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
Spiced Sugar Coating
- ½ cup castor sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- Pre heat the oven to 170℃ (330℉) and prepare your cookie trays.
- In a large pot melt the butter and take off the heat.
- Add the sugars and combine using a dough whisk and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Next add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add the vanilla.
- Lastly add all the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Place in the fridge for an hour. The longer the dough is in the fridge the less the cookies will spread – so if you want a thin chewy cookie – take out a little earlier.
- Prepare your spiced sugar coating by placing all ingredients together. Place in a plate so you can coat each cookie ball easily.
- Scoop and roll your cookies into balls. Place in the sugar coating and roll about until each one is equally covered.
- It is a large batch. So if you wanted you could place half in the oven and half in the freezer. Freeze on a tray until solid and then transfer to a freezer safe bag or container until you need to bake them. You can bake from frozen.
- There is no need to flatten the balls with a fork.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes. leave on the tray for 5 minutes to allow the cookies to solidify before transferring to cooling rack to cool. Store in an airtight container.