These are the perfect mouthful of fresh and sweet – and you don’t need a heap of seasonal ingredients to make them!
If you don’t have liners for your muffin tray simply make your own.
Or use silicon muffin trays.
If you wish to make your own – cut twelve equal squares of compostable baking paper (15cm x15cm). Place each square over the top of a glass and push down with your hands (Make sure the bottom of the glass fits in the bottom of each muffin tray section) You will now have the perfect looking cafe style cup cake liner.
These muffins are a great addition to your household this winter. These simple ingredients are fresh and light;
Neutral oil (vegetable or grapeseed)
Can of crushed pinapple
The addition of sultanas and cinnamon is also a tasty alternative.
Pumpkin seeds or chopped walnuts are a fun way to dress these up too.
Do you own a danish dough whisk?
Whip these muffins up in a large mixing bowl with your danish dough whisk.
I love using a dough whisk as the batter never seems to become over mixed and tough. You will get soft bouncy muffins every time you use a dough whisk.
What do I use the left over pineapple juice and pineapple for?
My good friend Jana taught me this great life hack.
Make it into popsicles for the children. They love them!
How good is cream cheese icing?
You will need;
Icing sugar (powdered sugar)
Milk (or lemon juice)
Pineapple and Carrot Muffins with Cream Cheese Icing
- Large mixing bowl
- Danish dough whisk
- vegetable greater
- Can opener
- piping bag optional
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- ½ cup neutral oil (Use grapeseed or vegetable oil)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup grated carrot (peeled first)
- 1 cup tinned crushed pineapple (drained)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup white sugar (castor or plain)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups plain flour
Optional Muffin Ingredients
- ½ sultanas (or raisins)
- 1 tsp cinnamon (or mixed spice)
Cream Cheese Icing
- 2 cups icing sugar (Powdered sugar)
- 50 grams softened butter
- ½ cup cream cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2-3 tbsp milk (you could use lemon juice)
- pumpkin seeds
- chopped walnuts
- Pre heat your oven to 200°.
- Prepare and line your muffin tray.
- Beat oil and eggs together with your dough whisk.
- Add the vanilla, carrot, drained crushed pineapple and mix until combined.
- Next add the dry ingredients. If your mixture seems a little dry – add a splash of pineapple juice to bring the mixture together.
- Share equal amounts of batter amongst the muffin tray.
- Bake for twenty minutes. Use your finger to check for a bounce on the top of each muffin. Press down lightly and if it springs back they are cooked.
- Allow the muffins to sit in the tray for 10 minutes once they have been removed from the oven. Then transfer them to a cooling rack so they don't sweat.
- Once cool – ice each muffin with the delicious cream cheese icing.
- Add optional toppings if you choose.