I know this a contentious issue in most farming households. Apparently real men don’t eat quiche!
Even though a bacon and egg pie is acceptable – a quiche however is considered a sin.
It doesn’t mean you can’t not make it though, and I’m sure if you don’t say the ‘Quiche’ word, you just may get away with it.
Roll out and blind bake short savoury pastry.
You can either make your own. Or use store bought. I do either, and it comes down to time. Do you have time to make the pastry today? If not use the block of pastry in your freezer for such occasions.
I use the quiche dish with a removable bum, as I once put my ceramic quiche dish in the smoko bag for it to come home in two pieces.
I always keep a few cans of salmon, asparagus and UHT cream in the pantry. It’s amazing what you can whip up when you think your options are limited.
Quick Salmon Quiche
- Quiche dish
- Mixing Bowl
- Can opener
- 400 grams Short pastry Make your own or store bought
- 6 Eggs
- ½ cup Cream
- ½ cup Milk
- 1 tin Pink Salmon (210 grams) Drained
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup Grated Cheese Optional
- 1 can Asparagus Drained
- Roll out your short savoury pastry
- Gently lift the pastry over your quiche dish and trim off any excess pastry. Keep it high up the dish as it will shrink as you bake it.
- Blind bake the pastry at 180 for 10 minutes. Make sure it doesn't brown too much.
- Open and drain the tin of salmon. Use a fork to flake up the pieces of the salmon
- If you are using tinned asparagus drain the can and place the spears on a paper towel to remove any extra moisture.
- In a large bowl whisk the eggs, cream and milk.
- Add the dijon mustard, chopped parsley, salt and pepper
- Lastly mix in the flaked salmon
- Poor the mixture over the baked pastry case
- If you are using the additional cheese and asparagus, then sprinkle the cheese over the top, before placing the asparagus in a cute pattern.
- Return to the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Allow the quiche to cool before removing the quiche from the dish and cutting.